Types of Health Plans #cheapest #car #insurance #for #young #drivers
#major medical insurance
Types of Health Insurance Coverage
Below are the most common types of insurance coverage offered. If you need services like maternity, dental or prescription drugs, check the plan details to make sure you get the coverage you need.
Individual and Family
Also called comprehensive or major medical, individual and family coverage is likely the first type of health insurance you might think of. It covers a wide range of services.
- Lasts 12 months or longer
- Can be renewed (in most cases)
- Meets the Affordable Care Act requirements and includes:
- Emergency services, hospitalization, and preventive care
- Maternity, newborn and pediatric care
- Mental health care & substance abuse treatment
- Laboratory services, prescription drugs, and disease management
- Rehabilitative services and devices
- You may be able to get help paying for this coverage
Dental insurance plans cover part of your dental costs for you and your family.
- Can cover a wide range of services or just basic care.
- Can be bought as part of your Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Texas longer-term plan or by itself through a separate, stand-alone dental plan.
- Is required for children age 18 or younger under the Affordable Care Act.
Medicare is the federal health insurance program for people age 65 or older, or people under 65 with certain disabilities or illnesses.
- Medicare has 4 basic parts that, together, help with health care costs.
- Original Medicare has 2 parts: Part A (hospital coverage) and Part B (medical coverage)
- Part A and Part B don’t cover everything, so you may want to buy Part C (Medicare Advantage) and Part D (drug coverage) from a private health insurance company.